Youth Employment: Visitor Services Assistant
Duration of employment: Summer 2023
Anticipated start date: Monday, June 12
Rate of pay: $16.00 / hour
Application deadline: Sunday, April 30, 2023
- To assist with all aspects of delivering a positive visitor experience at the Museum. This includes helping at the main reception desk, processing admission, taking registration for and answering questions about public programs, and assisting with shop sales and inventory.
- Assists with general museum reception and visitor services, meets and greets the general public at the main entrance reception desk.
- Provides general information about the museum, exhibits and the community.
- Takes admission and public program fees using a Point of Sale system.
- Answers the telephone and fields calls to appropriate staff members.
- Handles and balances cash and related paper entries.
- Assists with sales and inventory in the Museum Shop, under the direction of the Shop Manager.
- Assists with the promotion, registration and implementation of pubic programs.
- Relays accurate information about planned programs and events.
- Assists with statistics on visitor attendance.
- May assist with informal tours of the galleries to individuals and groups.
- Must be enthusiastic about working with the public, meeting new people, partnering with volunteers.
- Must possess good communication skills.
- Broad general knowledge and interest in the community of Campbell River and region, particularly visitor services and attractions, would be an asset.
- Applicant must be a youth between the ages of 16 and 30.
- Will learn about all aspects of visitor/hospitality services through training and on the job experience.
- Training on basic to intermediate use of Microsoft Word, computerized point of sale system, office equipment.
- Will learn basic evaluation strategies and statistics gathering and reporting.
- Learn to work within a team staff environment, supported by enthusiastic professional staff.
Note: This position is conditional upon funding. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interested candidates should e-mail a cover letter and resume to Tona.McMurran@crmuseum.ca.
Application deadline is April 30, 2023
Who we are:
The Museum at Campbell River is an award winning, regional history museum sharing the stories of the peoples of Northern Vancouver Island. The Museum is a non-profit organization with a mission “to collect, preserve and interpret the human history of our area”.
We view the Museum as a community gathering space. A place that we can come together to share, connect, explore and learn the diverse history of our region.
We respectfully acknowledge the Liǧʷiɫdax̌ʷ First Nation, on whose unceded traditional lands we work to preserve, interpret and share the collective human history of North Vancouver Island.
The Liǧʷiɫdax̌ʷ First Nation is comprised of the We Wai Kai, Wei Wai Kum and Kwiakah First Nations. Our closest neighbors are the Coast Salish Xwemalhkwu, Klahoose and K’ómoks First Nations. These nations have close connections to the land where Campbell River is located today.