Visitor Services Associate
The Museum at Campbell River is the largest regional Museum on northern Vancouver Island. It is operated by a non-profit society with a mandate to “preserve our past to inform our future”. Annually the Museum is visited by national and international tourists as well as local residents who participate in a wide range of public programs and events offered by the Museum. The Visitor Service Associate is the first person Museum guests interact with and is integral to facilitating a positive Museum experience.
The Visitor Services Associate is responsible for operating the Museum’s reception desk and providing a positive customer service experience to all Museum guests. Key front line tasks include; greeting and reception, admissions, program registration, statistical gathering, building security, visitor safety, and handling of various request and referrals. Works closely with museum programming and operations staff to ensure a seamless guest experience and a positive visit to the Museum.
Provides exceptional service to our guests at all times.
- Participates in museum team initiatives and contributes to the overall museum plan.
- Supports museum activities as required.
- General Museum reception, greeting the public, special guests, members and groups in a cheerful, receptive manner at all times.
- Ensures a positive and safe experience for all Museum users including exhibit visitors, program participants, and those participating in on-site rentals.
- Meets specific visitor needs; enhancing access and encouraging return visits.
- Front line for all phone calls for information or appropriate referral.
- Promotes Museum programs and encourages membership.
- Provides and maintains accurate information about the Museum.
- Processes admissions, program fees, membership fees, and various payments through a Point of Sale system; cash, debit and credit cards, and daily balancing.
- Prepare and makes bank deposits.
- Opens/closes Museum and exhibit areas, is attentive to and responds to Museum and exhibit security and emergency response at all times.
- Captures accurate statistical, marketing and membership data.
- Maintains a clean, business-like front-of-line work environment.
- Assists with public programs and museum events including set up/take down and scheduling volunteers.
- Assists with administrative tasks as needed.
- Assists with scheduling, organizing and training volunteers.
- Assists with Museum Shop reception and sales as needed.
- Provides rental support as required.
- Positive team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficient organizational and time management skills and strong multi-tasking abilities
- Must enjoy working with the public, meeting new people and working with volunteers
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, Outlook preferred
- Good business and mathematical skills, attention to detail and significant use of memory
- Must have a valid BC Driver’s License and access to a vehicle
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays
- Ability to work under general direction
- Ability to work and think quickly under pressure
- Must be comfortable dealing with large groups of people
- Aptitude for performing work requiring close attention to detail
- Completion of college or university level tourism courses is preferred
- Minimum of 1 year of customer service and cash handling experience preferred
- Experience in sales and cash handling with knowledge of Point of Sale an asset
- Knowledge of our Museum or the history of our area and community an asset
- Experience in the hospitality industry would be an asset
Work schedule: This is a permanent part-time position that works the following hours:
Summer & December Hours (May 17 to September 30th):
- 3 days a week including Sunday (21 hrs per week)
- 2 days a week including Sunday ( 11 hrs per week)
May include some evening hours
Wage: $14.20 per hour to start
Application Deadline: 4pm, February 16th, 2020
Application Format: Applications must include a cover letter specifically addressing position requirements, resume and 3 references. Applications can be dropped off at the Museum during open hours: 6 days per week (Tues to Sun) from noon to 5pm or emailed to email@example.com
Thank-you for your interest but please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.